A very attractive and fully sorted RM Saloon with bulging history folder.
Subject to a decade-long rolling restoration by experienced Riley enthusiast. During his custodianship the car was painstakingly overhauled, with all suspect body and woodwork parts (A-post, sills etc) replaced, new leatherette roof fitted, chrome parts re-plated, body resprayed, brand new interior in biscuit leather with new headlining, carpets and doorcards, all done to professional standard. New polished wood steering wheel, all brakes attended to with new wheel cylinders, radiator re-cored, new clutch plate, headlights updated, semaphores plus flashing indicators incorporated and lots more. More than 80 invoices on file for over £12,000 mainly for parts alone. No mention of the long hours of unpaid labour, lavished on the car by its last, keen Club member.
Recent bill for £3,200 from Riley Club Engineers, Corman Ltd, for SU electric fuel pump conversion, new Riley full exhaust system, and other details.
It drives very smoothly with positive steering and braking, no body rattles and textbook oil pressure from the 1,5 litre unit which sounds exceptionally quiet.
Car now ready to be driven and enjoyed after its ten year hibernation.
Lots of history with bills and photos of rebuild. The original 1953 buff logbook is present, amazingly discovered by the last owner on e-bay by a fluke chance. He paid £11 to re-unite it with the other vehicle documents.
Also comes with V5, Riley books, works manual, tools, old tax discs, old Club mags, full DVLA ownership history, badge bar with rare 1950’s badges, boxes of Riley spare parts, comprehensive history.
Call or text John on 07909 231414. Car located in Lytham St Annes, Lancashire, transport arranged at £1 pr mile (one way only charged)
The Riley RM Series is an executive car with streamlined coachwork and opulent interior which was produced by Riley from 1945 until 1955. (The pre-war style body was directly inspired by the 1937 BMW 327 acquired by Riley Motors) It was the last model developed independently by Riley prior to the 1952 merger of Riley’s still new owner Nuffield, with Austin to form BMC. The RM series was originally produced in Coventry, but in 1949 production moved to the MG works at Abingdon. The RM models were marketed as the Riley 1½ Litre and the Riley 2½ Litre.
There were three types of RM vehicles produced. All used Riley engines with four cylinders in-line, hemispherical combustion chambers and twin camshafts mounted high at the sides of the cylinder block.
The RMA was a large saloon, and was replaced by the RME. Both used a 1.5 L (1496 cc) 12 hp (RAC Rating), developed before WWII.
The RMB was a longer car: it was replaced by the RMF. Both cars used a larger engine, new in 1937, a 2.5 L 16 hp (RAC Rating) “Big Four”.
The RMC and RMD were limited-production cars, an open 2 or 3-seater Roadster and a 4-seater Drophead.