1948 Alvis TA14 Drophead Coupe by Carbodies ……Sold
A quintessentially British motorcar with a commanding presence, which looks and drives beautifully as an Alvis should, and, in its day, would have been on a par with Rolls-Royce or Bentley. It is the Carbodies three position drophead coupé model, Body Nr 0074/06/8, signifying it was the 74th built (of the 400 made) and was constructed in June, 1948. It is finished in gloss black over Regency Red, with hood and hide interior to tone and looks in original condition, the bodywork having been extensively restored to high standard.
During the last ownership a new and expensive fully-lined hood was fitted at a cost of £3,250. This has three positions in addition to being fully closed or open, offers a midway coupe de ville position. Further recent improvements include new reupholstered seats in matching hide at a cost of £2,000, an attractive two-tone paint scheme, bumpers re-chromed (with new rear over-riders) new heavy duty battery. bullet traffic indicators, new carpets, very good tyres, brakes and oil pressure. Understandably it drives great, a good testament to the factory that built it and the knowledgeable AOC owners who have maintained it over the decades.
A lovely four seater touring car with good sized boot, the best value model of all Alvis dropheads available. Offered here at a good price, better than money in the bank. (Alvis saloons can fetch this price!) An inexpensive way of joining the exclusive Alvis Owner’s Club which offers access to a network of over 1200 passionate Alvis owners round the globe who have unchallenged collective knowledge of all cars bearing the red triangle crest. Technical and spare part support as well as cheap insurance for these cars as well as regional and national events.
Wind in the air Summer motoring. For more information on this remarkable survivor, text/call John on 07909 231414.
The Alvis is located in Lytham St Annes, Lancs. Transport arranged at £1/pr mile (one way only charged)
First post-war Alvis
Following the end of World War II, Alvis quickly re-emerged with a revised range of passenger cars. They had been kept busy building military vehicles during the war, so were able to revert to peacetime products quite quickly. As with most other manufacturers, there was no time or money to develop new lines, therefore the new TA14 was really a freshened-up pre-war version of the 12/70 which had been introduced in 1938, the most obvious difference being the adoption of steel disc wheels in place of wires. Alvis had always sold well-built cars with sporting pretensions. The TA14 offered little in terms of real performance, but did come well equipped and beautifully finished. The TA14 used an 1892cc, four cylinder engine and rigid axles at the front and rear. Although most TA14’s were ‘Sports Saloons’ by Mulliner, a few carried drophead coupé coachwork, some being built by Tickford, but most by Carbodies Ltd who produced 400 out of the 500 Alvis planned to make. The Carbodies coupe had a longer passenger compartment and their craftsmanship was considered much better than Tickfords by later professional restorers. The TA14 remained in production until 1950.